Wednesday, 9 July 2008

Sufi Musicians

For all those interested in Sufi music and Sufi ways of understanding and experiencing music there are some great articles over on Kevin's blog, Acoustics, Health, and Sufism
He is writing about a fascinating theory on the sound of the Big Bang, well worth reading, and his latest post is about a theory of his own on musical adab and the way in which musical intervals correspond to psychological states or attributes. These are then related to the Names of Allah. I believe it is true that music communicates in a way that language cannot, or it is a different mode of communication which works on the soul in subtle ways. The idea of a musical adab is enlightening.

2 comments:

kevin said...

sallam alaykum Katherine

thank you for linking my post. I see that your book store has Shaykh Taner Ansari's books, if you'll notice I was the editor of his Alternative Healing: The Sufi Way book.... what could I do to entice you to review it for us?

:)

much sallams ~ sh kevin

Yafiah Katherine said...

Salaam Kevin, you need do nothing to entice me but thank you for reminding me. I have three of Shaykh Taner's books on my own bookshelf and it is my intention to do posts on them all. I attended Shaykh''s healing workshop in London. It was very good.

Welcome to a Treasure Trove of Sufi Books and Music

Dear Friends and Readers,

Welcome to the Sufi Book and Music Blog. Step in and look around the many sections here that all relate to an aspect of Sufism. There are also DVD's of music from master musicians. If you know of any books that are not here then you are welcome to write and let me know so I can add them. The idea of this site is to bring together in one place as many books on the subject of Sufism as possible so that it is easier for you to discover what is available without doing long searches. So take your time and browse as you would in any library or book store. As I speak of the books available in the store so it is also an opportunity to look at different aspects of the Sufi path and the many friends who have trodden this path in the past and in the present day.